Formerly they were sentenced to 15 years! The full story of innocence of the men of the former regime in Algeria.

‘Abd al-Qādir ibn Mas‘ūd

02 January 2021 21:38

The military tribunal in the first military district in al-Balīda today on Saturday ruled acquitted the men of the former regime in Algeria Lieutenant-General Muḥammad Madyān (famous as General Tawfīq), Sa‘īd Bū Taflīqa, Major-General Bašīr Ṭarṭāq and Lūyza Ḥanūn of “the charges of conspiring against the state and army authorities”, which the suspects were facing and for which they had been sentenced to between 15 and 20 years of prison. This acquittal comes in the context of a counter push against the wing of former Chief of Staff late General Aḥmad al-Qā‘id Ṣāliḥ on power. The acquittal was preceded by the return of escaped general Hālid Nazzār, who was sentenced to 20 years in prison in Algeria. Additionally, a number of mid-level officers and leaders close to the former Chief of Staff were relieved.

A suspicious meeting to overthrow the regime… From here the story started

On 30 March 2019 the former director of the intelligence Lieutenant-General Muḥammad Madyān, brother and advisor of the previous Algerian President Sa‘īd Bū Taflīqa, General Bašīr Ṭarṭāq and in addition President of the Labour Party Lūyza Ḥanūn have met. The agenda of that meeting was to discuss the interim period and the participants agreed to name the leadership of the country in this period with the total sidelining of the [than] Deputy Minister of Defense late Lieutenant-General Aḥmad al-Qā‘id Ṣāliḥ.

The name the participants of that meeting agreed upon as the leader of the country was the former president of Algeria al-Yamīn Zarwāl, who refused the plan they proposed to him and who revealed the details of the meeting to the military institutions. So then the campaign of the Chief of Staff Lieutenant-General Aḥmad al-Qā‘id Ṣāliḥ started against what he called “the gang”.

Then on 5 May 2019, the Algerian Security Forces were ordered by the late Lieutenant-General to arrest the brother and advisor of the former president Sa‘īd Bū Taflīqa and the former director of the intelligence Lieutenant-General Muḥammad Madyān, known as General Tawfīq, in addition to his shadow deputy in the intelligence Major-General Bašīr Ṭarṭāq. They were followed by the president of the Labour Party, Lūyza Ḥanūn. The charge was connected to “conspiracy against the army and the Popular Mobilization”.

During the investigation, General Hālid Nazzār – the former strong man in Algeria during the ’90s of the last century – was called in describing him as a witness in the hearing held on 14 May the same year. Nazzār revealed that Sa‘īd Bū Taflīqa informed him that he had been planning to remove Lieutenant-General Aḥmad al-Qā‘id Ṣāliḥ with the aim to control the movement against his brother. Yet shortly after that Nazzār escaped the country after a few weeks. That is why he was sentenced to prison and an international arrest warrant was issued against him.

At the end of September 2019, the trial of the four suspects started, which was called the “trial of the century”. The trial took several days before they were sentenced to heavy sentences, as the Military Tribunal in al-Qalī‘a sentenced the four defendants to 15 years in prison. The court scheduled the approval of the sentence to February 10, 2020.

Then on 18 November 2020, the Supreme Court faced criticism by the defense of three of the suspects, while the leader of the Labour Party Lūyza Ḥanūn was released, as the same court found her innocent. Since that time the backtrack to the three suspects from the charge of conspiracy has started.

Then before the end of the trial season, the Algerian Ministry of Defense issued a strange decision by appointing the presidency of the First Military District’s Military Tribunal in al-Balīda in a temporal manner with a decision dated to November 5, 2020. Ṣādiq Faḍl Allah, President of Sixth Military Districts Military Tribunal in Tamārrasat was appointed to preside over the First Military District’s Military Tribunal in al-Balīda starting from 8 November in a temporal appointment.

The military attorney was also replaced before by President ‘Abd al-Mağīd Tabbūn. These are the first details for what the followers of the case call the beginning of the acquittals!

Before the end of the last year the lawyer of General Tawfīq, Fārūq Qasanṭīnī revealed that his client sends a time of recovery outside the prison in a military hospital for three months. At that time the Algerian Ministry of Defense did not comment on these statements.

Today, on 2 January 2021 the Military Tribunal in al-Balīda ruled innocence for the three suspects. General Tawfīq was released, while General Bašīr Ṭarṭāq and Sa‘īd Bū Taflīqa stayed arrested for other charges, which were haven’t been revealed yet.

So today, after a year of the death of Lieutenant-General Aḥmad al-Qā‘id Ṣāliḥ and after the “great campaign” launched by the wings of General Tawīq and Sa‘īd Bū Taflīqa against the remains of Ṣāliḥ the military court in Algeria rules innocence for the favor of the four suspects. With this, the struggle between the two wings end, and according to many followers of the case Algeria returns to the arms of the former director of the intelligence, General Tawfīq.

Purging the wing of al-Qā‘id Ṣāliḥ and the first step for the acquittal of the men of the former regime in Algeria

Many followers of the case of Algeria connect the matter of the announcement of the acquittal in favor of General Tawfīq, Sa‘īd Bū Taflīqa and General Bašīr Ṭarṭāq with the purge of the former Chief of Staff Lieutenant-General Aḥmad al-Qā‘id Ṣāliḥ. Since his death, the events in Algeria took a countering trend to what Lieutenant-General Ṣāliḥ had drawn up.

The late General Aḥmad al-Qā‘id Ṣāliḥ

This trend took many features on the ground starting with the mysterious death of General Ṣāliḥ itself, for which some sides accuse the military organization and the presidency to stand behind it. Also after that the dismissal and arrest of the retired first deputy Qarmīṭ Bū Nuwayra, who is known to be the keeper of General Ṣāliḥ’s secrets after that.

In addition to that came the series of dismissals, arrests, and mysterious deaths in the ranks of the leaders, commanders, and officers close to Ṣāliḥ. At the end came the permission for the fugitive General Hālid Nazzār to return and the dropping of all the charges, which were taken under the period of General Ṣāliḥ tenure against the rulers of the military organization.

The transformation cannot be missed, which was witnessed in the Algerian media, either the public or the private as it discusses the events. The coverage of the Algerian media took a 365 degrees [probably meant 180 degrees] change and the media platforms transformed into attack fields against the track of the former Lieutenant-General, refrained to mention the first announcement of his death.

Has the stop of the Popular Mobilization helped the acquittance of the four suspects?

As if the main reason for the political transformation which Algeria lives in and which was the acquittals of General Tawfīq, Sa‘īd Bū Taflīqa, and Major-General Bašīr Ṭarṭāq is one of its glorifications. That is the stop of the Popular Mobilization by the spread of the Corona epidemic. The Mobilization meant the biggest danger to the former regime, and the current regime took efforts to end it by force and by arrest some time, while by tempting and broadcasting a major split in its composition at other times.

Many followers of the Algerian events noticed that the track to acquit the suspects in the case of conspiracy against the army went on in the period in which the Mobilization stopped, while the accusations grew against the Algerian regime that it exploits the Corona crisis and stops the Mobilization in order to achieve its aims, including the acquittals of the gang. Yet this did not prevent many of the activists in the Mobilization to call for the continuation of the Mobilization once again and to work with the available methods to put pressure on the regime.

Tabbūn’s sickness… the chance that speeded up the announcement that the “gang” is innocent.

While the regime took its final touches to prepare for the referendum on the constitution on its scheduled date at the beginning of November 2020, the Algerian Presidency announced on 24 October that President ‘Abd al-Mağīd Tabbūn was taken to medical isolation for five days after suspicion that he got infected with the Coronavirus.

At that time the news about Tabbūn was cut until the Presidency announced that he was taken to the military hospital in ‘Ayn an-Na‘ğa in the Algerian capital; then later on it was announced that he was taken to the German capital Berlin by a French ambulance plane to receive treatment in a German military hospital. This happened amidst great secrecy about his medical condition and ongoing gossips about this death.

The Algerian President hasn’t appeared since, only on 13 November, when he appeared on a brief video on his Twitter account, while he was still ill. He thanked the Algerians for this concern about his health and confirmed in the video his presence in the German capital Berlin for a recuperation period.

Shortly before the end of the year, the Algerian Presidency announced the return of Tabbūn from his treatment trip, and the Algerian President indeed appeared in the year of 2021, as he was sitting and there were reports about his lack of ability to stand up!

Many followers of the Algerian events view that the illness of the Algerian President and his condition during the last months greatly contributed to the drawing of acquittance for those charged with conspiracy against the army and the state, as Algeria was left without a president for 50 days!



حكم عليهم سابقًا بـ15 سنة! القصة الكاملة لبراءة رجال النظام السابق بالجزائر  

عبد القادر بن مسعود

21:38 02 يناير 2021

أصدرت المحكمة العسكرية بالناحية العسكرية الأولى بالبليدة، اليوم السبت، حكمًا ببراءة رجال النظام السابق بالجزائر؛ الجنرال محمد مدين (الشهير بالجنرال توفيق) والسعيد بوتفليقة واللواء بشير طرطاق ولويزة حنون من «تهمة التآمر على سلطة الدولة والجيش» التي واجهها المتهمون ونالوا عليها أحكامًا نهائية بالسجن تراوحت بين 15 سنة و20 سنة؛ ويأتي حكم البراءة هذا في سياق هجومٍ معاكسٍ على جناح قائد أركان الجيش الفريق الراحل أحمد القايد صالح في السلطة، فقد سبق أحكام البراءة، رجوع الجنرال الهارب خالد نزار والذي صدر في حقّه حكمًا بـ20 سنة سجنًا إلى الجزائر، إضافةً إلى إقالاتٍ عديدة وسط الألوية والقيادات القريبة من قائد الأركان الراحل.

اجتماعٌ مشبوه لقلب السلطة.. من هنا بدأت الحكاية

في الثلاثين من مارس (آذار) 2019؛ اجتمع كلٌ من الفريق محمد مدين مدير المخابرات الأسبق، والسعيد بوتفليقة شقيق ومستشار الرئيس الجزائري السابق، والجنرال بشير طرطاق إضافةً إلى رئيسة حزب العمال لويزة حنون، وكان جدول أعمال ذلك الاجتماع مناقشة المرحلة الانتقالية، واتفق المجتمعون على اسم لقيادة البلاد في تلك المرحلة مع تحييدٍ تامٍ لنائب وزير الدفاع الوطني الفريق الراحل أحمد قايد صالح.

كان الاسم المجمع عليه في ذلك الاجتماع لقيادة البلاد هو الرئيس الجزائري الأسبق اليامين زروال؛ الذي رفض الخطة التي عُرضت عليه وقام بكشف خبايا الاجتماع للمؤسسة العسكرية، لتبدأ حملة رئيس الأركان حينها الفريق أحمد قايد صالح ضدّ من أسماها بـ«العصابة».

ففي الخامس من مايو (أيّار) 2019؛ قامت قوات الأمن الجزائرية بأمرٍ من الفريق الراحل باعتقال سعيد بوتفليقة شقيق الرئيس السابق ومستشاره، والرئيس السابق لجهاز المخابرات الفريق محمد مدين المعروف بالجنرال توفيق، إلى جانب خليفته في المخابرات اللواء بشير طرطاق ثمّ تلتحق بهم رئيسة حزب العمال لويزة حنون؛ بتهم تتعلّق بـ«التآمر على الجيش والحراك الشعبي»

وخلال التحقيق تمّ استدعاء الجنرال خالد نزار – الرجل القوي السابق في الجزائر إبان تسعينيات القرن الماضي – بوصفه شاهدًا في جلسةٍ عُقدت في 14 مايو من العام نفسه، وكشف نزار أن السعيد بوتفليقة أخبره أنه يعتزم عزل الفريق قايد صالح بهدف وضع حدّ لحركة الاحتجاج ضد شقيقه؛ غير أنّ الجنرال نزار لم يلبث أن فرّ خارج البلاد بعد أسابيع، من ذلك ليصدر في حقّه حكم بالسجن وتصدر مذكرة دولية للقبض عليه

مع نهاية شهر سبتمبر (أيلول) 2019؛ بدأت محاكمة المتهمين الأربعة وأطلق على تلك المحاكمة اسم «محاكمة القرن»؛ واستمرّت المحاكمة لعدّة أيّام قبل أن تصدر أحكامٌ وصفت بالثقيلة في حقّ المتهمين، إذ أصدرت المحكمة العسكرية بالقليعة حكمًا بالسجن 15 سنة ضد المتهمين الأربعة، وقامت محكمة الاستئناف بتثبيت الأحكام في 10 فبراير (شباط) 2020

وفي 18 نوفمبر (تشرين الثاني) 2020، قبلت المحكمة العليا الطعن بالنقض التي تقدّمت بها هيئة دفاع المتهمين الثلاثة، وأطلق سراح زعيمة حزب العمال لويزة حنون بعد أن أصدرت ذات المحكمة حكمًا ببراءتها؛ ومنذ ذلك الوقت بدأ العدّ التنازلي لموعد براءة المتهمين الثلاثة من تهمة التآمر

فقبل نهاية فصول المحاكمة؛ أصدرت وزارة الدفاع الجزائرية، قرارًا مثيرًا للجدل يقضي باستخلاف رئاسة المحكمة العسكرية بالبليدة بالناحية العسكرية الأولى بصفة مؤقتة، وحسب القرار المؤرخ في 5 نوفمبر 2020، كُلِّف صادق فضل الله، رئيس المحكمة العسكرية بتمنراست في الناحية العسكرية السادسة بضمان استخلاف رئاسة المحكمة العسكرية بالبليدة في الناحية العسكرية الأولى ابتداء من يوم 8 نوفمبر بصفة مؤقتة

كما تمّ قبلها تغيير الوكيل العسكري من طرف الرئيس الجزائري عبد المجيد تبون؛ وهي الجزيئات التي اعتبرها المتابعون مقدّمات لأحكام البراءة!

وقبل نهاية السنة المنصرمة؛ كشف محامي الجنرال التوفيق فاروق قسنطيني لوسائل الإعلام، أنّ موكله يقضي فترة نقاهةٍ خارج السجن بأحد المستشفيات العسكرية لمدّة ثلاثة أشهر؛ وهي التصريحات التي لم تعلّق عليها وزارة الدفاع الجزائرية آنذاك.

واليوم، في الثاني من يناير (كانون الثاني) 2021؛ أصدرت المحكمة العسكرية بالبليدة حكمًا ببراءة المتهمين الثلاثة، وإطلاق سراح الجنرال توفيق، فيما بقيّ كل من الجنرال بشير طرطاق وسعيد بوتفليقة رهن الحبس الاحتياطي في ذمّة قضية أخرى لم يتم الكشف عنها بعد

واليوم بعد سنةٍ كاملةٍ من وفاة الفريق أحمد قايد صالح، وبعد «الريمونتادا» التي شنّها جناح كلٍّ من الجنرال توفيق والسعيد بوتفليقة لتصفية تركة صالح؛ يصدر القضاء العسكري الجزائري أحكام البراءة لفائدة المتهمين الأربعة، وبذلك ينتهي فصل الصراع بين الجناحين وتعود الجزائر حسب الكثير من المتابعين إلى حضن جناح مدير المخابرات الأسبق؛ الجنرال توفيق

تصفية جناح القايد صالح والخطوة الأولى في براءة رجال النظام السابق بالجزائر

يربط الكثير من المتابعين للشأن الجزائري إعلان أحكام البراءة لفائدة كلٍ من الجنرال توفيق، وسعيد بوتفليقة وبشير طرطاق بسياق تصفية جناح قائد الأركان الراحل الفريق أحمد قايد صالح؛ فمنذ وفاة الأخير أخذ منحى الأحداث بالجزائر مسارًا معاكسًا للاتجاه الذي رسمه الفريق صالح

عدّة ملامح رسمها هذا التوجه على الأرض، بدايةً من الوفاة الغامضة للجنرال صالح نفسه، والتي يتهّم فيها البعض أطرافًا بالمؤسسة العسكرية والرئاسة بالوقوف ورائها، ومن ثم مطاردة واعتقال المساعد الأول المتقاعد قرميط بونويرة المعروف بأنّه خزنة أسرار الجنرال صالح بعدها

إضافةً إلى سلسلةٍ من الإقالات والاعتقالات والوفيات الغامضة في صفوف قيادات والألوية والضباط القريبين من صالح؛ ووصولًا إلى السماح للجنرال الفار خالد نزار بالعودة إلى الجزائر، وإسقاط جميع التهم التي أصدرها القضاء العسكري ضدّه في فترة تولي القايد صالح لمقاليد الحكم بالمؤسسة العسكرية.

ولا يمكن إغفال التحوّل الذي شهده الإعلام الجزائري سواءً الرسمي أو الخاص في تناوله للأحداث؛ فقد انقلبت تغطيات وسائل الإعلام الجزائرية بنسبة 365 درجة، وتحوّلت المنابر الإعلامية إلى ميادين للهجوم على مسار الفريق الراحل، وغيّب الإعلام ذكرى وفاته الأولى!

هل ساهم توقف الحراك في براءة المتهمين الأربعة؟

لعلّ أبرز سببٍ في التحوّل السياسي الذي تعيشه الجزائر، والذي كانت أحكام براءة الجنرال توفيق وسعيد بوتفليقة واللواء بشير طرطاق أحد تجلياته؛ هو توقف الحراك الشعبي بسبب انتشار جائحة كورونا، فقد كان الحراك يمثّل الخطر الأكبر على النظام السابق، وعمل النظام الحالي بجهدٍ على إنهائه عبر القمع والاعتقال تارةً وعبر الإغراء وبثّ الفرقة وسط مكوناته تارة أخرى.

ويلاحظ المتابع للأحداث بالجزائر أنّ مسار تبرئة المتهمين في قضية التآمر ضدّ الجيش تسارعت في الفترة التي توقف فيها الحراك، وسط تزايد الاتهامات للنظام الجزائري باستغلال أزمة كورونا وتوقف الحراك من أجل تحقيق أهداف من بينها تبرئة العصابة؛ ولكن ذلك لم يمنع الكثير من الفاعلين بالحراك إلى الدعوة إلى بعث الحراك من جديد والعمل عبر الوسائل المتاحة من أجل الضغط على النظام

مرض تبون.. الفرصة التي سرّعت في إعلان براءة «العصابة»

بينما كان النظام يضع اللمسات الأخيرة على تحضيراته لإجراء الاستفتاء على الدستور في موعده المحدّد في الفاتح من نوفمبر (تشرين الثاني) 2020؛ أعلنت الرئاسة الجزائرية في 24 أكتوبر (تشرين الأوّل) خضوع الرئيس عبد المجيد تبون لحجر صحي طوعي لمدة خمس أيّام بعد الاشتباه بإصابته بفيروس كورونا

انقطعت أخبار تبون خلال تلك الفترة، حتى أعلنت الرئاسة عن نقله على جناح السرعة إلى المستشفى العسكري بعين النعجة بالعاصمة الجزائرية، ومن ثم أُعلن عن نقله إلى العاصمة الألمانية برلين بواسطة طائرة إسعافٍ فرنسية للعلاج بأحد المستشفيات العسكرية الألمانية وسط تكتّمٍ شديد حوّل حالته الصحية وإشاعاتٍ متتالية عن وفاته

ولم يظهر الرئيس الجزائري منذ ذلك الحين إلّا في 13 ديسمبر (كانون الأوّل)، حيث ظهر في فيديو مقتضب على حسابه على موقع «تويتر» وهو في حالة مرض، يشكر الجزائريين على اهتمامهم بصحته ويؤكّد فيها تواجده في العاصمة الألمانية برلين في فترة نقاهة.

وقبيل نهاية السنة؛ أعلنت الرئاسة الجزائرية عن عودة تبون من رحلة علاجه وظهر الرئيس الجزائري وهو يوّقع على موازنة سنة 2021، جالسًا على كرسيّ وسط أنباء عن عدم قدرته على الوقوف!

ويرى الكثير من المهتمين بالشأن الجزائري؛ بأنّ مرض الرئيس الجزائري وضعفه خلال الأشهر السابقة ساهم بشكلٍ كبير في ترسيم براءة المتهمين بالانقلاب على الجيش والدولة، فقد بقيت الجزائر بدون رئيس لمدّة 50 يومًا!